Sunday, November 25, 2012

I am thankful...

compare 2 middle fingers
... that my finger appears to NOT be broken. Remember the favorite part of my day? Remember those cute little irish accents in rage? Well, it moved to a new level. Fists started flying and, in an attempt to block a punch, my finger was mangled. After, TLC from my friends at school (trip to the pharmacy), and my host family (wrapping my finger and waiting on me, hand and foot), advice from one sister (who is a nurse) and therapy techniques from another (who is a physical therapist) I think I will survive. Needless to say, things have been a lot calmer this past week on the soccer court.

... that things are going well in school. Class 3 and 4 are making great strides on their Animoto projects! Information has been gathered and story boards have been made.They are learning how to save pictures in their own picture file and will soon be ready to create the actual project. They can hardly wait!! Class 4 wrote letters to their pen-pals in Wisconsin and they are very anxious to hear back!
Thankful project
In class 1 and 2 we have been learning about Thanksgiving the past two weeks and what it means to be "thankful". We created a "Thankful jar" and the students over-filled it with colorful slips of paper, listing what they were thankful for. These colorful slips were used to decorate around a turkey print art project... so much fun! We ended the week with a Thanksgiving feast. Biggest surprise: kids had never had rolls made with yeast. (Went to every bakery and grocery store in town to find the yeast, finally found it in a specialty shop.)

Irish Uilleann Pipes
... that I went to school on Friday. After the exhaustion of creating a feast for 30 students, and knowing that everyone in America was either in a food coma or out fighting the crowds, I had a hard time wanting to be at school. I'm grateful my ride remembered to pick me up (after wishing all morning they wouldn't) because it turned out to be a great day! 1) A full rainbow greeted me at school. 2) I found out about a Gaelic football club I can possibly join called "mothers and others". 3) A trad (group of traditional irish music players) came to play for a school assembly (dreamy) and I was chosen to attempt the Uilleann pipes - traditional bagpipe of Ireland. I would have missed out on so much had I stayed home.

... for packages, letters and e-mails from my family, friends and loved ones! Thank you!!

... for my Irish family that have become like my own. We talk, we share, we fight... and we love! We had a Thanksgiving feast with every kind of food you can imagine! Great to be together. :0)

Cliffs of Moher
... for this beautiful country that I have the opportunity to explore, love and become a part of!

... for technology that keeps me in touch with my family and friends back home... but mostly my kiddos!! Missing them so much!

... for this holiday that gives us a reason to stop and really be thankful for all that we have!

SKILL OF THE WEEK: Tin Whistle
The tin whistle is one of the most popular instruments played in Ireland (and the cheapest to purchase). My injured finger put a damper on this skill, a bit, but I will continue to work on it!

UP-DATE: Crocheting - 2 hats down, starting my third

4 comments:

  1. you look like your having a blast! beautiful pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Thanks Hannah... I am! Thanks for your message. I will be back soon!

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying your experiences, thoughts and pics so much! Sounds like you are taking a lot away from this experience... teaching, but life too :) Joan (from Stritch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading them Joan! I really am having a life changing experience all around. Wouldn't trade it for anything! :0)

      Delete